3.03.2010

Meet Louisa


This is Louisa. I made her last fall for the annual auction at my middle daughter's preschool. She was meant to be an example of my work (the highest bidder would win a "custom made doll") and I figured I would find someone to give this particular doll to after the auction was over.

Did that happen? Uh, no. I kept her for myself! She is the first (and so far, only) doll that is MINE. Not my girls'. They play heavily with their dolls. Their dolls are well-loved and it shows. I wanted a doll that would remain in "new" condition, that I could continue to refer to as an example of my work. Not that my daughters' dolls look bad, but they are slept with (or on) every night, carried around by an arm, accidentally stepped upon, etc.

Her dress is a Vogue pattern and I love it! In fact, it may just be a staple on dolls to come. I had to make some alterations, but it fits great! And my husband used our snap-press to put a few snaps on the back.


Above is sort of how we had the display set up at the auction. The auction went well and I'm glad I offered to make one. It was well worth my time :).

And this picture below is one that I sketched up, influenced by a picture in a book called Doctor Dan (?) that had a little blond girl holding a doll. So, not an original drawing at all. But it did allow me to play with my Copic markers, which I still don't know how to use very well :). I need more time to draw!!!

12 comments:

  1. I would have kept her too. i do have one doll I made so far that I have kept, but I would have liked to keep the last two I made as well. Its funny how you can love something you do and want to share it but keep it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those last two dolls you made are beautiful. I can understand.

    How do you do it? How do you send your dolls off across the globe? Tbus far, all but one of my dolls/toys have gone to family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh she is beautiful and I adore the wagon set up. Perfect! I completely get the wating to keep things and good for you! I have none of my best work. I'm not going to make that same mistake the second time around when I start creating again. PS - nice to "meet you", I'm a fellow fishie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow how adorable is this doll! Wow I wish I could make one. I have a sewing machine I never use let alone know how to use - sadly. I'd love to see your process! BTW I am a fellow fishie too nice to meet you;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dolls are truly wonderful. So happy to find you on Flickr and here!

    Stepheny

    http://katiewhatcanudo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, There! I am in the fish bowl e-course with you. I wanted to drop by and meet you. I really love the doll and my daughter has a wagon just like that one! Oh, so ever cute! Your dolls are wonderful! See you in class. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Stepheny!

    And to Kim, Ivy, and Amber - thank you for stopping by. I've been busy with a sick child for the past week (and so I've been the class delinquent). I plan to spend some time reviewing Marisa's questions tomorrow and hopefully make it around to everyone else's blogs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi bido, from another fish! i love your dolls. i've been working a little with trying to make stuffed animals for the first time, and i can appreciate how much work goes into it. hope your child feels better, "see" you soon.
    jere @ spotted dog farm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dolls are gorgeous! And so is your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And thank you, Jere! I must have missed your post. I enjoy your comments and feedback in Marisa's course :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such gorgeous dolls! I've just a started making them myself but not at your level. I think it can become addictive.:)

    ReplyDelete