Yesterday morning, my oldest daughter and I spent a bit of time sewing. I never got around to making her piano bag a few weeks back, so I used the opportunity to give her some sewing lessons and let her make much of the bag herself. I figured a simple tote would be an easy beginner sewing project.
This was our fabric.
I had plenty of this Japanese cotton/linen print, but only a FQ of the Moda dots. So, I tried to draft up a pattern that only used a FQ. Mistake Number One.
Still, I'm trying to look at the bright side! Here is my daughter sewing away. I raised the foot pedal so she could reach it and adjusted the speed to its lowest possible setting.
She did really well, stopping to take each pin out. It was a great beginner project. Quick...and it should have been easy.
However, *I* totally messed up. Not only did I draft a tote pattern that was too narrow to begin with, I then boxed the corners of the bag making it even narrower! Mistake Number Two!
Ah, well. It *will work* for now. Barely. And I still have lots of the outer fabric, enough to make a roomier piano tote. And this will still make a cute tote bag when it's eventually replaced. And my daughter sewed much of it herself and she is happy with the outcome. I need to really focus on that last part.
Lessons learned, for both of us :).