4.08.2010

Wool Felt Sugar Egg


The idea for this project came to me while watching my kids make their Easter egg dioramas a few weeks ago. I was thinking back to my childhood and a fascination I had with these types of sugar eggs. I vaguely remember having at least one at some point. Mostly, I remember trying to gnaw away at part of it where (I thought) no one could see and hoping that by "accident" some of the frosting flowers, chicks, etc. would fall off/dislodge so I could eat them. But that's a whole different story.

Anyways, I thought I'd make a sugar egg that could be a permanent Easter decoration here in our house - a sugar egg that wouldn't attract ants or the mouths of my kids. It is hand-stitched entirely out of wool felt. The outside of the egg is a thick pink wool felt and the inside is lined with white. There are various flowers, a chocolate felt bunny and some green wool-roving "grass" on the inside - which may or may not be hard to see**. I had planned to add a few smaller rosettes on top of the egg, but it already looked like it was drowning in frosting, so I stopped with one larger rose.

This project didn't turn out exactly as I had planned;I have a few key structural improvements in mind and several more ideas for a making a better one. I'm even hoping to put together a tutorial - but since Easter just ended a few days back, I can table all this for several months and focus on the various projects I pushed aside to finish this.

In the meantime, I have three larger dolls coming up. One is for a niece. One is for my daughter's 7th birthday. The other is stuffed and waiting for her face. :)

**Sorry for the lack of more and better photos. We're having some technical difficulties and I cannot open/edit any photos at the moment.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this is beautiful! I have always LOVED those sugar eggs, too! What a wonderful project!!!!!
    Rebecca of the R&W Gals

    PS Thanks for joining my linky party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rebecca. Your blog is one of my favorites. So many creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I know I say this often, but you are so talented, it's inspiring.

    My mom use to buy us one when we were little. They were always so pretty, you didnt want to eat them.

    I can't wait to see your new dolls. I have three lying in pieces.

    The last doll, perhaps will go in your shop =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. You have an incredible gift of imagining, creating, and bringing things in to being. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ ricebabies - thank you for the kind words. pretty or not, it wouldn't have stopped me from trying to eat sugar :P. and i have thoughts about an etsy shop - maybe later this summer? i'll email you with a few questions...

    @ Steph - Thank you so much. Your words made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete