5.10.2010

A Doll for My Mother


Meet Graciela. I just completed this doll for my mom for Mother's Day. My mom is 65 years old and this is the first doll she has ever been given (bought or handmade).


My mother grew up in much rougher circumstances than most children, impoverished in so many ways. Even if anyone in her life had been able to afford to buy her a doll (let alone cared to do so), dolls when she was a child did not look like her. Most dolls in the 1940s/1950s were "white", often with blond hair and blue eyes - none of which describe my mom.

Anyways, I thought it was about time she had a doll of her own :). My mom spends hours a day in her sewing room (quilting), so I'm hoping my parents can put up a shelf for Graciela to sit on and keep her company.


Details on the doll:
* The hair is Blue Sky Alpaca - a Wool/Alpaca blend. I would NEVER use this yarn for a child's doll. It sheds *so much*. But the color is beautiful, it almost looks like real hair (the color differentiation is striking).

* Though I didn't intend this - doesn't she look a bit like Frida? Maybe it's the flower...or the braids wrapped around her head/hairstyle?

* Speaking of the hairstyle, I can't decide what to do with the felt flower. Right now, it's on a little hair clip and I keep moving it around. Hmmm.


* I made a simple peasant dress for her, with embroidered flowers. I like it enough, but am not 100% happy with the sleeves. Maybe I'll knit a simple shawl? Redo the sleeves? Let it go? Ah, I should just let it go. Move on to some drawings and a few more dolls.


Next up is a doll for my niece...

18 comments:

  1. Amazingly beautiful, along with the story.
    It's funny because I opened the rice babies for that same fact. Even though times have changed, most dolls dont fit all girls, especially asian girls.

    This is why I love handmade/custom dolls.

    Yours are the prettiest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a treasure! I love everything about her: her dress, her flower, her hair, and especially her lovely face.

    My mother is the recipient of many of my dolls, and she, growing up during the depression and WWII, had no dolls either.

    I found a quote a long time ago that said "it's never too late to have a happy childhood." I like this, and hope it is true.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful. You mother sounds very special and what a sweet way to express your love for her. I think they will spend many happy days together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graciela is lovely! About 20 years ago, I started presenting my mom with stuffed animals, especially birds, because I never had them so I figured she didn't either. It would be too much of a luxury item. I've never thought about giving her a doll. Maybe it's time. Thank you for sharing your doll and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ricebabies, beth, steph and su-siee! It's always nice to read such kind words.

    @ ricebabies - I agree (re: times have changed, but not enough :). I always had a hard time finding a doll that looked like me (mixed)...and actually, that still holds true).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an artist. Your dolls are so breathtakingly beautiful. I love very detail. And you are such a precious daughter to make a dolly for your mother. I bet she cried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely gift for your mom! The doll you made her is beautiful!! :) Thanks for sharing the story behind the gift! Oh, and I'm limegreenvw on SM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks goosegirl and Regina. it's nice to see a few SM's here :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a beautiful doll to give your mom. This is such a precious story of a daughter love for her mom. Glad I found your blog and I love your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog through a giveaway.

    This is *the* sweetest blog post I have ever read. I know your mom will love this doll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your kind words, QuiltyGirl :). I hope she likes the doll as well (she's seen pictures of it, but I'll be giving it to her in person next month).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is a beautiful doll! Your Mom is lucky to have such a lovely gift from a thoughtful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful doll and I love her dress and flower accessory. How sad that your mom has never had a doll until now. I'm so glad that her first doll is such a special handmade one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dolls are beautiful, you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous doll, I love her face--she has the sweetest expression. The detail on the eyes is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you sell patterns?
    Your dolls are the absolute prettiest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the loveliest dolls I've ever seen! I found out your blog today, looking for inspiration on how to embroider face features on a doll for my daughter. I'm in love with all of your toys and I will try to find your book here in Italy!

    ReplyDelete