5.28.2010

Preschool Days - The Start and Finish

Two summers ago, I made this oliver + s tea party sundress for my middle daughter to wear on her first day of preschool. (I also made a size 5 in different fabric for my oldest to wear to Kindergarten).

Here she is on her first day almost two years ago, age 3, size 3. It was a little loose in the bodice...


...but that worked out great because she was able to wear it as a tunic yesterday on her last day of preschool, almost 2 years later! Here she is almost FIVE years old and officially no longer a preschooler. Sniff.


Though I didn't intend for her to be able to wear the same dress at the start and finish of 2 years of preschool, I love that she was able to do this. It really shows how much she has grown!

Now, I want to make a dress for my youngest to wear on her first and last day. Problem is, she'll be starting this fall at age 2.5 and she'll go for three years. I was thinking I could make her a little smocked sundress (like the one in Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing book). I have the book, but a free tutorial for the dress is here on Martha Stewart's site. I think that would work. It would fit her as a dress this fall and then as a top in three years. I'll have to use both my youngest and middle daughter as models during this process...make sure the dress/top fits them both.

Plus, it will give me a great excuse to use some of my favorite fabric that I've been hoarding for years. I have yards of Munki Munki and Baby Lulu that needs to be used. Time to use it!

9 comments:

  1. That is so cute!!! I love when clothes last that long. My oldest is on the thin side, so clothes go a long way.

    She is so lovely. They grow so fast.

    I have the Weekend Sewing book as well, but I havent had a chance to use it. It's a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures of your daughter. How cool that she could wear this outfit at the beginning and at the end; an alpha and omega outfit :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how much she's change in two years she look like a big girl now. My pumpkin has really changed in one year, she will start first grade this fall. Your little girl is sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygoodness! I totally remember when you made that - wow, has she ever grown. What a cutie-pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ricebabies, Beth, Pam and April!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how cute! i love the pre-school pictures! what a fun way to see how much she has grown up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this from when you posted the first photo. My goodness, she's grown! That's a wonderful demonstration of how much taller she's gotten. Thank you for sending the link, and this will be a great memento for both of you. I'll show this to S--she'll get a real kick out of it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Liesl. We enjoy your patterns so much :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to be able to find good advice from your blog posts.
    best daycare in calgary

    ReplyDelete