10.26.2010

Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall


Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.


All the King's horses and all the King's men...


Couldn't put Humpty together again.


My two older daughters took a look at these photos moments ago and have several issues with them/me. "Why isn't his head cracked on top? He fell on his head, Mom! Why is he still smiling? Why did his hat stay on?"

Okay, okay. Now go to school, girls.

I finished up this little guy over the weekend. He was inspired by a picture I had seen several months ago on flickr of what I originally thought was a wooden Humpty Dumpty. I sketched the face quickly in my book and decided to make a little cloth Humpty at some point.

It wasn't until recently that I realized the wooden Humpty was actually part of a common vintage nursery lamp (many are listed on etsy.com). Coincidentally, I also just saw the lamp in Alicia Paulson's Stitched in Time book while I was flipping through it on Sunday night.


My little Humpty doll was really easy to draft and make. His body is cloth stuffed with wool and the rest of him is made from wool felt. I put pipe cleaners inside his legs (at the last minute) so I can bend his knees/legs.

His hat is a copy of a little hat on a pig that I bought a few months back from OhMaFelt, minus the pom-pom at the end. (Check out that etsy store. Cute stuff!).


Despite their critique of the pictures above, the girls like him and call him my "shelf elf". The reference is apparently from some book at their school library. I haven't read it. I hope shelf elves are good.

He fits in up there, though.

9 comments:

  1. He's adorable! What a cute face. You'll have to let us know just what a 'shelf elf' is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda! As far I can tell, shelf elves watch over the books (?). So, my daughters tell me, this "elf" will watch over my sewing stuff :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I you made the HD doll, I wanted to follow your blog. The design, craftsmanship and mega cute level are remarkable. Now off to look at your other posts, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. opps forgot the important part...

    As soon as I read you made the HD doll....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh wow - what a lovely little chap. Do you ever sell your makes? I'd love one of these for the nursery...

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this is the Humpty listed in the table of Contents of your Storybook Toys book because I just bought it for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this pattern is in the book! It's an easy one, too!

      Delete
  7. This is so cute, and it's in the book! You are too generous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from Sydney Australia! I can't sew but found your blog after doing an image search via google. This Humpty is EXACTLY what I've been looking for as a gift for my daughter (literally every single other Humpty I've ever found is the stuff that nightmares are made of). Is there any way I could ask you to make one for me that I could buy? xx

    ReplyDelete