3.31.2011

Are you looking at me?


One of the great things about keeping a flickr stream and, over the past year, a blog, is that it has provided me with the opportunity to watch my artistic style evolve. Over the years, there have been a few subtle changes (improvements!) in the way I make dolls. At the same time, there are a few things that I do/techniques that I use that have held fast - I do them for personal and peculiar reasons and it's not likely they'll change. I thought I'd provide some insight here:

1) Hair parts! Have you noticed how I consistently part my dolls' hair on the same side of the head? Every doll I've made (with the exception of the marionettes and Goldilocks back in 2008) has a hair part on the same side as the doll up in my blog's banner/avatar. Always. The reason why I always do it this way?

Her:

Her:

And her:
Notice that they all have hair parts on that side of their head. So the dolls I make do, too. Naturally! Even when the hair is felt :).

2) The Eyes! Not only do I always purposefully put three lashes on each side (we have a thing about doing things in three around this house), but I always put the highlight in the same exact spot, and if the doll is looking in any sort of direction, it's toward my left side. See?


The reason why is because I'm left-handed and oftentimes it's much easier for me to draw or embroider with the eyes of the doll looking at my hand. (Hence the blog post title). It's hard for me to explain, but it's as if my hand is an eye, too. Does anyone else feel this way? Often, when I'm sketching, I can actually draw better with the subject looking in that direction. Strange. I should scan some of my sketchbooks sometime.

Anyways, that's why you see the highlights in the same spot, three eyelashes per side, and sometimes the dolls glancing in that direction.

So, yes, that's part of my style ("signature" as one of you emailed me). The hair part, the eyes, the red mouth...that's how I do things.

I recently asked one of my favorite bloggers/dollmakers to test something out for me. At some point in the future, we can both show you what she did because the end result is beautiful...and it is "her" (the blogger/dollmaker). I love that I gave her the tools to make something "just like me/just like I do it", but she did it her way. It looks like one of her dolls (you'd all agree) and not like a copy of mine. She put her signature on it and I love it! Thank you, (you know who you are), and thanks to the rest of you who have emailed me over the past couple days! I appreciate your kind words!

I need to run and get a pedicure. It is hot today!

10 comments:

  1. The only thing that I notice is that your dolls are gorgeous!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! I love the way you make your dolls and would still love to have one some day if you have time to make one. Keep up the great work!

    Hana
    the MomTog Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Wendy, Hana and Susan. You words mean a lot right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I do the same thing only with the hair. I part it on the right and swoop hair towardst the left. Usually put the white dot on eye towards the right for balance.

    I really enjoy looking at the way you embrioder the facial features...really great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about the eye highlight, but I always put it on the left side of the eye, and I am right handed :-) Your dolls definitely have 'your' signature, and they are beautiful!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Carolyn Dolls - you definitely have a distinctive style. very pretty!

    @ Beth - of course the highlight can go anywhere (or in a few places), it's just that I always put it in the same exact spot (like you!). what's more is that my dolls want glance toward my left hand (even when I try to correct for that). i told my husband, "it's like my hand can see" ;-P. thanks for your sweet words, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having your own style is what makes your dolls so beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Estou encantada com seus trabalhos. Parabéns!!!
    Sil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dolls I come back to your blog over and over just to look at them, one question? do you sell the pattern for your dolls? I would like to buy one if so, or if you have any book where I can find the instruccions, they are so unique that I kept looking around to see if I could find the pattern but no luck!!!
    Thank you for posting such a beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete