4.07.2011

The Unfinished Sisters Sewing Sketch


Every so often when tiding up my sewing space I come across this unfinished rough sketch of mine from more than 2 years ago. Whenever I look at this sketch, I laugh a bit because the girls in the drawing are supposed to be my daughters - and they are...but they aren't. For one...their hair is brushed and styled so nicely. That doesn't happen very often around here. Also, my middle daughter is actually wearing what looks like matching socks (she likes to "layer" in real life...mismatching socks on top of leggings on top of tights, under a dress, of course, etc.). And the two older ones are sewing...on their own...cooperatively. Pure fantasy?

I never finished the sketch because I wasn't sure where I was going with it. Did I eventually want to frame it and put it up in my sewing space? Did I want to convert it to a line drawing and embroider it? I never decided so I never finished it.

To be honest and fair, I should add that the sketch is not original. It was inspired (that doesn't feel like a strong enough word here!) by this vintage needlebook that I am still on the hunt for (if anyone comes across it, let me know). I thought this needlebook picture was incredibly charming and decided to draw my own version of my girls for purely personal reasons. Look at how adorable the needlebook is. I want it! I need it!

Source: Unknown! Downloaded it a few years back!

Side note: I did eventually use the sketch of my youngest on a Christmas stocking I made later that year. I changed the doll to one I knit for her and had placed in the stocking.


(The reindeer is from Badbird.)


As I was saying, the sketch used to make me laugh because the girls were sewing and all getting along so nicely...helping to mend a shoe and a dress for their baby sister's doll!?! How sweet of them. Every sewing mother's dream...

But actually, these days, it's not so much a fantasy anymore. We've started a new tradition this year...and it has caused me to reflect on this sketch and consider what I want it to become because of my girls and who they are becoming. I think the sketch has a place in our sewing space/The Pink Room/"Pinkies"...somehow.

I'm also intent on finding that needlebook!

I'll post more about this next week...

13 comments:

  1. I am truly envious of your artistic talents! The sketch is utterly charming; frame it, and use it as an embroidery pattern. It will bring good thoughts and deeds to your sewing room :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous sketch. It may not be true to life, but we can all dream of children with brushed hair and matching socks... I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have (had? I'm not entirely sure where it is) that needlebook! I got it at Hancock Fabrics a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sketch is adorable. I wish I could draw like that. I hope everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely. I can't sketch. our stroke is lovely.Once it's done you should make copies for all your girls, it will be a lovely keepsake down the road, perhaps in their children's nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Beth - It needs a place in our sewing space for sure. Just thinking about the options... (and thank you!)

    @ Vicky - :) brushed hair and matching socks is a rare phenomenon around here!

    @ Sarah - REALLY! At Hancock's? I was considering it for a while on Acme Notions...then it was no longer there. Now, I search ebay every so often...

    @ Tracy - thank you. Things are okay! Just saddened a bit over someone else's (continued) actions. I wish people had more respect for people's individual/artistic style.

    @ Kellie - oh, thank you! How have you been? I need to pop over to your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this free printable at oneprettything and thought of you.
    http://www.freeprettythingsforyou.com/2011/04/freebie-printable-sew-me-pretty-frame.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should think about doing illustrations for childrens books! Your sketch is so charming and would also make a lovely page for kids to colour if you printed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I a bit late replying, but yes, at Hancock's by the registers. There were a couple of different styles to choose from. I bought it because it reminded me of the needlebooks my mom had in her sewing box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, we do have Hancocks, but the closest one is still kinda far away (so I rarely ever go there). I'm sure I'll come across it someday...

      Delete
  10. I just purchased your book and looked up your blog. I love your posts. It is two years later but did you ever find the needle book? I have an extra one to part with be happy to mail one .
    Sincerely
    Layla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't found it! Do you really have an extra one? I'd gladly pay you for it. Email me if you're interested.

      Delete