5.10.2011

Sunday Sister Sewing Sessions

Sunday Sister Sewing Sessions are a tradition we started at the beginning of the new year. I had been noticing that whenever I tried to sneak a few minutes away in the Pink Room (aka "Pinkies"), my girls were just a step or two behind me. And while I love that they're so eager to sew, it's hard to accomplish much if I'm also working with them. So I decided to establish a set time every Sunday afternoon for mother-daughter sewing time. Just me and my two older girls. So far, it's been a remarkable success.


We made up rules during our first official session. 1) You have to be at least 5 1/2 to participate (my middle daughter's rule); 2) try your best (my oldest's rule); and 3) if there is any squabbling, the session is canceled (my rule). To my surprise, they've been incredibly cooperative and kind and my oldest is even helping my middle daughter with her stitches (!!!). They are extra-nice during this special hour on Sundays. Perhaps I should extend the duration of our weekly sessions - a whole afternoon of cooperation and sweetness? Hmmm...


The only music we ever play in Pinkies is this awesome radio station - music from the 1930s and 40s. The songs remind me of being in my Grandma's house as a kid and helps set the mood for sewing - with my girls or by myself. Plus, the station also plays old radio shows/mysteries from that era, which the girls love to listen to.

Each Sunday Sister Sewing Session includes tea and a special treat of some kind. We've been using coffee mugs that the girls designed (I'll have to take a real picture of these) and little tea plates and spoons that were passed down from my Grandmother.


For the past few months, the girls have been working on rabbits from the Kata Golda book. For my middle daughter, I used a small 1/16" hole-punch and made holes for her to then blanket-stitch. My oldest daughter already knew what to do here, so I let her do her thing.


On a few Sundays, the girls have worked on other sewing projects (the projects here for my oldest and my middle daughter worked with me a few times on repairing a Pillow Pet and some other store-bought toys that had sprouted holes).


We're now midway through May and we've only missed one Sunday that we've been in town! The girls honestly seem to look forward to this weekly event. And it has kept them from asking "can I help? can I sew?" whenever they see me in the Pink Room. I try and update the chalkboard (pictured up top) with what step/project they'll be working on each Sunday so they have something to look forward to.

Using buttons to "mark" where she wants the eyes to go.

They finally finished their rabbits this past weekend. Both designed their rabbit's face themselves (I assisted a bit with embroidering features- mostly playing "clean up" :) ).


My oldest daughter and I are now going to start back on her Mary Frances sewing. My middle daughter wants to work on a tooth fairy pillow.


So that's a little of what's been going on here every Sunday afternoon :).

(Sorry for all the poor quality photos. Better photos next time :) ).

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic rabbits -- very well done, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! Well done to the girls for all their hard work and, more importantly, being so nice to each other.
    I wish we had a radio station like that in Scotland! I love that kind of music, reminds me of the stuff they used to play when I was a child staying at my grandparents' house in the 70s.
    You've inspired me to try something with my children - my daughter is six and has no patience, my son is three and full of enthusiasm. It could work :)
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great for you and the girls! What a wonderful tradition and memories you are making!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jenny - I'll pass along your words to my girls :). Thank you!

    @ Dawn - I think you can stream that radio station over the internet. My father listens to it that way...try it! It's great music and a needed break from other music we play in the car, etc.

    @ Maria - We're having lots of fun. I'm glad this is something we can all do together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely....and well done girls...fantastic work...you clearly take after your clever mum!...
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. those rabbits look fantastic, the photo quality is just fine, Many more happy sewing days to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you. I have three boys and one girl. And the only girl I had who is now twenty years old didn't like to do the girly arts and crafts. And I'm still working on her to do it with me...to no avail. My youngest son who is eleven years old like to do the arts and crafts but he quits to easily. So for now I'm still in this all by myself.

    You're girls are doing a great job with your guidance. Bless you and your girls.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The girls rabbits are great! You are an awesome Mom, to share so creatively your love for sewing. Your blog is such a welcome antidote to what passes for daily news.

    Thank-you!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent rabbits! They look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your girls are so talented already. You must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya
    I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion! Dug out my Frank Sinatra Greatest Hits CD the other day cos of this blog. It was so relaxing! Will have a listen to the radio station.

    Cheers

    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of mother/daughter sewing dates. I think I may have to give that a try.

    Your girls' bunnies are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable and the stuffies too. I admire how you are teaching your girls not only an age old craft that is very useful but also to bond. Sisters are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think their bunnies turned out so cute.. and I love the idea of a Sunday crafting afternoon. With sisters. Without any fighting!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what great bunnies, and wonderful little artists!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just discovered your blog. This is a brilliant idea! My two girls shadow me in my sewing room, too, and it kinda drives me nuts. Like you, I love that they want to learn, but man, it's hard to actually do anything. I'm going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete