5.07.2012

Elsie's Paper Dolls


A few months back, my mother-in-law sent me an old envelope containing her mother's paper dolls.  She thought the girls would like to see them.  I've taken them out a few times - thinking of what I can do to display and preserve them.  Maybe put them in a frame of some type?  Any suggestions?


They are so delicate. Cut from newsprint and colored with markers (it appears).

 


My youngest is home this morning and wanted to play with them...asking how they "work".  I explained that these belonged to her Grandma's mommy and they are very special.  But still, we carefully tried on different outfits.  I didn't want to bend the tabs as they are really fragile, but all still intact.


I have no idea how old they are...maybe the late 1920s or early 1930s?  I'll have to find out.  Such a special treasure for the kids.:)  And a perfect addition to our sewing space.


8 comments:

  1. They would be delightful framed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too! They are small, but the collection would make sweet little piece of art :)

      Delete
  2. You can probably scan them and then let the girls play with the copies while preserving the originals. But the paper they are on probably contains acid, so do some research on how to stabilize them so they don't fall apart. You can even make the copies black and white so the girls can color them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I hadn't even thought of that - but scanning them is a wonderful idea!!! It's on my to-do list for today.

      My girls aren't Elsie's only great-grandaughters...so I'll be sure to set aside a few sets for my girls' cousins and second-cousins. Such a great idea. I'll try some in black in white also.

      And I'll look into how to stabilize them...I hadn't even thought of that. But I know just who to ask. :)

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful heirloom treasure, Jill. Elsie must have taken very good care of her paper dolls, for them to be in such lovely condition.

    Great idea to scan them; you can play and preserve them at the same time :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment on my blog. I check in to see your pink hair doll now and then. I know your work is always worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny, I just finished laminating my 4 yr old's paper dolls (albeit not old delicate papers, but brand new princess set) before sitting down at my desk just now. It's kind of a pain to recut them out after sticking the clear film over them, but it makes them more firm so she really enjoy them.
    If you do scan and reprint your dolls, I highly recommend some sort of clear laminating over them, even if just clear packing tape (the wider stuff) stuck on the front and back, and then cutting the excess tape. It really helps :-)

    ReplyDelete