8.06.2012

A Little Toy in Tin (Free!)



Some of you have probably seen the various little toys in tins/matchboxes circulating around these days. Last Fall, as I mentioned in this post, I purchased a bunch of DIY matchboxes and my oldest has been slowly filling them with little felt animals (mostly using patterns from Japanese craft books).

A few months back, we happened to stumble across these little felt hamsters in issue 5 of Mollie Makes.  (As a side note, I love this magazine!).  The templates are available FOR FREE here. My daughter is now making a collection of hamsters to fill a few more boxes...and some spare Altoids tins that we've been saving up.



I finished this little project during our Sunday Sister Sewing Sessions yesterday.  I obviously moved the ears to the side a bit to make a bear, but we have made 4 or 5 hamsters from these templates.  The bunny it's holding was made simply by adding ears to the pattern for the bow (see original template).


There are some incredibly cute tutorials for making little toys that fit in tins...but this pattern, besides being free, produces some awfully cute toys that fit perfectly in the tiny tins...


 ...which fit a lot better in little preschooler pockets.

The hamsters are so cute.  This little grumpy guy is holding (and guarding) some gum balls.  And has a few extra gum balls tucked away in its cheeks.


It's my youngest's hamster.  Her hamster likes gum, of course.

10 comments:

  1. They are all adorable. What a great idea. I love the idea of always having a tiny toy within reach. You never know when you could use a cute hamster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are great, except I have been laughed a few times when I've dug in my purse for a mint, only to find little toys inside my Altoid tins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldnt find the bear on the link. Please reply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the link above, then click on the cover of this issue of Mollie Makes, you be taken to the templates. There you will find the templates for the hamsters. I used those for the bear -just moved the ears a little to the side to make it look more like a bear.

      Delete
  4. Hi - I love the little hamster and bunny in a tin and I have been trying for ages now to find the pattern at Mollie Makes - I understand it is in issue 5 but there is only a felt turkey pattern to download in issue 5. I have tried searching Mollie Makes for this pattern using all kinds of key words. If you can help I would really appreciate it. Feel free to email me, thanks.
    Pauline
    perry94022 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found it here: http://www.molliemakes.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/49/2013/01/MollieMakesIssue5.pdf

      Delete
  5. This is so adorable! I love that this little sleepy guy has a tin bed! Sooo cute! thank you for sharing! This was featured here: http://www.plushiepatterns.com/toy-in-a-tin-stuffie-pattern-by-bybido/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly Makes website link is broken -- can you update to http://www.molliemakes.com/downloads/issue-five-templates/

    ReplyDelete