9.26.2012

Meet Glinda


Otherwise known as "Gahlinda", "The Good Witch", and "Glinda the Good - officially!

 I told you she was "pop-u-lar."  


"I know about popular..."

The girls and I are working on making puppets from Wicked.  My oldest and I went to see the musical two years ago when it was in San Francisco.  It is returning to the city in January and my husband and I plan on taking our two older girls.  Cannot wait!

Needless to say, like so many Wicked fans out there, we love the soundtrack.  Love it!  We listen to it often.  All three girls know the songs quite well.

Several months ago, while listening to the CD in the minivan, we started talking about putting on a puppet-show performance of Wicked.  Just a hallway performance for family...nothing fancy (though the girls are dreaming up a menu of green food to offer during intermission, etc.).

I was tasked with three of the puppets:  Glinda, Elphaba (she's almost done), and Fiyero.  I already had two discarded puppet heads, so it was easy to get started.  The girls are responsible for all of the other characters.  And the scenery/backdrops.  I'll work with them on the doorway puppet theater.  

The puppets are in various stages of completion.  Several still need a lot of work...

Madame Morrible's head in progress.

While we were shopping for green fabric for Elphaba at Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics in Berkeley, we came across some beautiful, bright pink ruffle fabric.  It reminded my oldest and me of the dress that Glinda wears during "Popular".  


We bought some and knew we had the perfect fabric for Glinda's simple puppet body.  (The Instagram filter makes the pink look crazy bright in these photos...and I pinned the flower on the wrong side of her hair in these photos, too.  Oops).


It works...but I also wanted to make Glinda look like her more recognizable self - you know with the crown and wand?  As my girls would say, "sparkly"...

 Source: www.broadway.com

I considered making a removable dress/puppet body.  But I opted for just sewing a simple cape that could be securely fastened around her neck with velcro, sort of masking her dress underneath.


"That's why...I couldn't be happier
No, I couldn't be happier
Though it is, I admit
The tiniest bit
Unlike I anticipated"

Her crown and wand were made using pipe cleaners and some plastic Christmas ornaments.  Lucky, super inexpensive finds that seem to work perfectly here, don't you think?

Elphaba is on the worktable this week...

I should add that the puppet head and body patterns are included in my book (and instructions on this hairstyle)!  The hand puppet set in the book is not Glinda (more about the puppets in the book later).  But this just shows how easily a basic hand puppet pattern can be adapted to become so many characters....anything you or your little one(s) dream of!

9 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Your daughters must be having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning. I would love to see a video of one of the songs with the puppets acting it out. A girl can dream can't she?

    (more about the puppets in the book later).

    oh good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of doing a video! Maybe...

      Delete
  3. PS I can't wait till your girls are old enough to want to make Brontë sisters dolls...along with thier dogs, Keeper and Flossy of course! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reply button won't work for me...so I'll do it here

    A: A video would be wonderful of course

    and

    B: I can see the Brontës striding the moors in thier shawls and collars already!

    ReplyDelete