10.24.2012

A Vintage-Inspired Corduroy Horse

Meet Henry the Horse.  


This red and white Henry was the final prototype I made before sewing the actual toy featured in my book (see photo with dolls below).  Many, many prototypes were sewn before him.  But when I stuffed this particular toy, I knew I had the pattern I had been striving for.

Henry was inspired by an illustrated toy horse featured on a vintage birthday card I stumbled upon years ago.  I don't actually have the card - just a tattered page with a picture of the front of the card.  Like many of you, before the advent of Pinterest, I used to print and pin "inspiration" to my bulletin board.  This horse was literally pinned years ago!


I really wanted the toy horse pattern in my book to be reminiscent of this sweet horse above.  Simple and timeless.  Perfect for boys and girls of all ages.  And I am happy with the result.


I adore this horse in red and white fabrics.  But when I looked at my collection of toys as they were all nearing completion, it seemed like I had a lot of red fabrics.


So for the book version of Henry, I used blue and white corduroy instead.  In my opinion, he looks just as charming.


Truth be told, the blue and white combo was inspired by my sewing chair.  

And now I can't help but think of this toy horse whenever I see my chair.  It makes me smile.


Obviously, this horse looks great in any color - solids, ginghams, or spots!


I hope some of you make a Henry (or two).

13 comments:

  1. I love him! I pre-ordered your book the day you originally posted about it, I can not wait to see it!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what's Henry's size? He's so lovely, I think everybody wants to make him! Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go check his measurements in a bit (after making dinner) - but you can see in this photo his size compared to some other toys (scroll down). And actually, you can enter this giveaway for a free copy of the book!

      http://www.stashbooksblog.com/2012/11/new-release-storybook-toys-by-jill-hamor-and-a-giveaway/

      Delete
    2. You're right: and it's a perfect size too! Lovely pictures, a real inspiration for the creative mind!

      Delete
  3. I just received your book and I LOVE IT! It is amazing! So many times you get a book and there are one or two things that are nice but this book is project after project of amazing work! Thank you for writing this and sharing your talent with everyone. I purchased this on Amazon and I am going to write a glowing review there!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Maria! You are very kind!

      Delete
  4. I got your book yesterday and I haven't had the time to look through it but I am soooooo excited. It looks gorgeous. I can't wait to make projects from the book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sascha. Did you ever finish the doll you were working on? I can't wait to see it.

      Delete
  5. I love this pattern! I made one; you can see it here on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/missenota/8636876959/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I love it! I'll pin it to my pinterest board (if flickr allow it!) Love it!

      Delete