1.28.2013

Meet Sadie, Mae, and Elsie



First off, I'm working on new toy patterns!  It's been awhile since I've been so inspired.  My husband claims he hasn't seen me this excited about a project in well over a year.  I only have sketches right now, but the ideas are clear.  And cute!  Now it's time to start drafting and sewing...and redrafting and sewing.  I actually like this part.

I'd love to be able to offer these patterns as PDFs in the future.  Hopefully, in the coming months.  Stay tuned!

Until then, I thought I'd occasionally post a few of the book projects that I typically receive emails about.  I've had several inquiries asking whether the doll pattern I use for my larger dolls is in the book.  The answer is YES.   

I made three dolls for the book using this pattern, shown up above.  Meet Sadie, Mae, and Elsie. 

Sadie

Sadie was named after and made for my oldest niece.  My niece doesn't want or need a doll at her age...but I wanted her to have one to pass along to her own daughter or niece or Granddaughter someday.  (I gave her the doll last month in a storage box so she can stash it away until then).   I used Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in "Tan" for Sadie's body and Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky Yarn in Cafe Au Lait for her hair. One skein is more than enough for those ponytails!

Mae

Mae, pictured above, was named after and made for my youngest niece, who is just two years old.  Her shoes are 18'' doll shoes found here.  (Sadie's shoes were also found on this site).  Her body is Kona Cotton in "Wheat".  And I used a Lyra Rembrandt Aquarell white pencil to shade the outer white parts of her eyes.

Elsie

Elsie, named after one of my husband's grandmothers, was made from Kona Cotton fabric in "Sand".  Her hair is Crystal Palace Iceland Yarn (bulky).  The basic pattern for her felt shoes is included in the book, as well as instructions and patterns for all the dolls' basic shirt/dresses and bloomers.  My oldest daughter has claimed Elsie as her own.  She makes a natural "sister" to her Marie doll.


There is also a marionette pattern in the book that is a similar, but much smaller version of Sadie, Mae, and Elsie.  I actually used the marionette pattern to make my youngest daughter's Gumdrop Doll last summer (sans marionette strings, etc.).  In fact, the doll's dress, bolero, and shoes were also made using the clothes patterns for "Jill".  I just added straps to the shoes, fastened by a few stitches and a little button.


Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions.  I got behind there for a few weeks, while our family dealt with the flu/winter colds.  Hopefully, we're done for the season.  I'll catch up soon on the emails.  I'm happy to help.  Thanks to all of you who have sent such kind words :).

14 comments:

  1. New patterns? I haven't even had time to devour your book!

    I'm trying to draft my own patterns right now, and I absolutely HATE it! I just want to make stuff from cute patterns, But sometimes there are ni patterns for what you want to make. It totally makes sense that you love the process, your patterns are amazing! I'm glad someone likes it!

    I can't wait to make the bunny from your book. I nearly hyperventilated when I saw it, The Velveteen Rabbit is my fav kids book and I've been dreaming of somehow making one up for years. Because of the aforementioned dislike of drafting patterns, I never have. SO. I'm going to make one for me, and then make one for my nephews and give it to them with the book for easter.

    I can't wait for new stuff! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jessica - thanks! I think you'd be great at drafting patterns! You have tons of experience and are awesome at making toys. I love everything you make. :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a pic of the dolls sans clothes-I have the book but there aren't any pictures of what the arms/legs are supposed to look like as/after they are attached. Thanks! Wonderful book, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll snap a photo soon and send it your way!

      Delete
    2. Please, id love to see as well. I adore your books!

      Delete
    3. Oh me too! I need lots of handholding before I start sewing ;o).

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Your girls are just delightful, and I love using Kona cotton for cloth doll bodies. It has such a lovely hand.

    Looking forward to your new designs!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I love how the Kona Cotton softens up over time. I've tried other fabrics, but it's my favorite for now.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Jill. I will be joining you in Monterey this weekend. Thanks for sharing your blog. Your dolls are adorable and you have a beautiful family -- no wonder you enjoy sewing for them! Looking forward to sewing together! :)

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrina. I'm looking forward to this weekend, too. Hard to believe it's just two days away :)

      Delete
  5. I have just finished making this doll! My 2 year old is thrilled, she is too little to help but has been so good while watching me sewing, and she has really enjoyed choosing the fabric for her clothes. Even tho our doll doesn't have any hair yet, she is already taking her to bed with her! (The doll has been christened Tulip, btw).

    Lovely lovely book, adn I am looking forward to trying some other things - I think maybe the rabbit next.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got your book and I'm wondering which doll would be best to use for the Mary Frances books? I think that doll is 15". I'd love to make a doll or 2 so my daughters can sew their clothes from the Mary Frances sewing book. Your book is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought your book when it came out years ago and finally got the courage to make one of these dolls. She's going to be my daughter's Christmas present this year, and I know she will be so happy. I don't know if you still check this blog, but if so, I just wanted to say thanks SO much for all of the time and love and attention to detail it must have taken to not only make these dolls but to create the pattern and instructions.

    ReplyDelete