2.19.2013

Mollie Makes - My Elephant!



Have you seen the latest issue of Mollie Makes here in the US?  We picked up our copy the other day at Kepler's.  I've been patiently stalking watching magazine racks for the last few weeks.  I was so excited when I spotted this issue.  My favorite magazine...


...and look at that!  I am so thrilled to be included in this beautiful publication!  


And I'm so happy that my elephant sewing caddy project is featured.  This was a project I had in the back of my mind months before I started working on the book.


A bit of background on this project - a few years ago, I was browsing images of old toy patterns on this website (there was free access for a short time), and I came across an elephant sewing caddy.  It had a very different look to it (more "turn-of-the-century" with tassels and "Victorian" accents), but it served the same function.  I loved the idea. So I started sketching my own mid-century inspired version.  I wanted it to look playful, with a wide open mouth and big eyes.  And I wanted it to be button-jointed, so it could be posable.

Here is a photo of the actual sketch from my sketchbook.


This project is entirely hand-sewn and can be made in a few short hours.  Use a quality wool felt and stuff firmly!

I used a tomato pincushion - and snipped off the strawberry emery bag to attach to the end of the tail.  I enclosed the tomato, along with a bit of stuffing, inside the drum pincushion.


I actually have this elephant on my sewing table now (it was one of the last toys returned to me).  I use the pincushion quite a bit, and the elephant sits to the side holding my thimble when I need it. The blanket on its back holds spare scissors and needles.  


I think this project would make a particularly sweet gift for a child learning to sew.  My kids each want one of their own, because this one is *mine*.  I actually do want to make one in light aqua....and one in pale yellow might look cute...lilac might be nice...  Hmm.

15 comments:

  1. MARVELOUS post! I love that elephant!The circus drum pin cushion is killer! Congrats on being in the magazine...Mollie's got taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! I love Mollie Makes. Such pretty projects...I'm so excited to be part of it. :)

      Delete
  2. Adorable and practical. Such a lovely idea. Congratulations on Mollie Makes - such a lovely magazine. Your beautiful things fit right in :) Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Lisa. I am a big fan of *your* beautiful creations.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work! I will have to look for Mollie Makes, is the pattern for the elephant in there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful, i have to get a copy of mollie makes maybe today. also love your book

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! Your elephant is simply perfect! I just love it.

    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- That is adorable! Elephant love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I like about the toys you make, is the oneness that seems to be there, a recognizable style that's your own..
    I wonder what you will come up with next....;) (after you made lots of colored elephants of course!)
    Groetjes, Annasoer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I like about the toys you make, is the oneness that seems to be there, a recognizable style that's your own..

      I quite agree

      Delete
  8. Is there a flickr group or place where we can share our projects from your book? I love seeing your pins of what others make, and would like to share mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to start a flickr group. Thanks for reminding me. I'll try and get one up soon. People have been emailing me photos of their completed projects, which I love to see!!! But I'm sure others would like to see them, also.

      If you post a photo online, let me know and I'll add it to a Pinterest board I just created a few days ago. But I do need to get that flickr page going also...

      Delete
  9. where do you get mollie makes magazines?

    ReplyDelete